Joy /noun/. A feeling of great pleasure and happiness.
Joy. Such a little word, but yet so powerful. Lately I have been seeking joy. Can I be completely honest? Some days I feel like joy is hidden and impossible to find- like how can I be joyful when e.v.e.r.y.t.h.i.n.g. seems to be going wrong?
Psalm 16:11b "…In thy presence is fulness of joy."
No matter what is going on, I can have joy. It's all about perspective and what I'm allowing myself to dwell on. When I am basking in His presence I have fullness of joy!!
That basking in His presence part gets me though. Because a lot of times I'm not basking in His presence and then I wonder why I don't have joy and can't find it. I let myself get occupied and caught up in little things that I think will give me joy, and I may be happy for a little bit, but when I really stop and think about it I'm not really joyful. What is it that I need to do to have real joy?
Psalm 51:12a says "Restore unto me the joy of my salvation;"
I need to ask God to restore my joy. And I'm finding I need to ask quite often, because I loose that joy when I fall into sin and out of that close fellowship with God. Apart from God there is no joy!! Often times I'm letting my life get consumed with things that I think will give me joy, and I may even be happy for a little bit, but when I really stop and think about it I'm not really joyful.
When I truly seek joy I will come to the realization that I have to give up my sin, which can be placing things above God for joy, and I have to ask to be restored. And can I let you in on a little secret? When I'm really seeking true joy, I'm really just seeking The Joy-Giver.
What are you learning about joy?
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment, it is a pleasure to hear from you!!