"It's fascinating how we're taught that 'home' is this tangible place, the most simply defined of terms-
it's a house,
a postcode,
a country,
And yet sometimes home cannot be explained by a street number;
sometimes it's a face, a voice,
a laugh more honest and familiar
than any truth you have ever known.
We're taught that in it's most literal sense, home is where we live and grow.
But one day, in the silence that follows nostalgic stories and subsequent laughter, you may realize that you never did more living or growing than when you had certain people by your side.
And suddenly,
you are home."
It's October 13th, 2016, 4:52 p.m. and here I sit at my desk. I've managed to escape the boxes, the packing, the lifting, the moving, to take a minute and think. Twelve is the number that comes to mind. Twelve times I've moved in the span of my short life. We're not a military family, just an adventurous one with a set of parents who seek to follow His will. And here in just a few short hours I'll change that twelve to a thirteen.
I sit here amongst the walls that are almost sad to look at because the art has been taking down, the pictures of memories are gone. It's so empty in here. The boxes are high and stacked here and there and every where. Just when I was about to say, "we're leaving this home of ours" I caught myself. No we're not. We'll leave these four walls but these four walls aren't our home. Sure they make up a house, but a house is more than just 2X4's, drywall, windows, and paint. Oh a home is so much more. Where is my home? or shall I say what is my home?
Ahhhh yes. There it is. It's this. These people who have taught me about life, have grown me and given me a place to grow, provided safety, protection, care, and love. They are everything a home is. Home is not a building, it's the people you love. Wherever you're together, that's home. Maybe you're not like my family always moving from house to house and always experiencing so much change, but your home is always changing. Over the years mine has grown, moved far away, started new homes...
And in a few short months my home will change again when I marry this dear, sweet man that I love. On that day we say "I do" a new home will be established. A place of learning, growing, safety, protection, care, and love.
They had everything right when they created the saying,
Home is where the heart is.
**this is a scheduled post... written on October 13th, posted on October 14th**
I love this! It's so true.
ReplyDelete